Charlotte Family Law Attorney with a Social Work Background
After graduating with my Masters in Social Work, I worked with children and their families who were represented by the Public Defender’s Office. As an expert witness for the Assistant Public Defender, I was very effective in achieving the desired outcome, but realized my passion was for something greater. I knew I could do even more for families if I was the one representing them in court. Serving others to my utmost abilities was the passion behind my decision to enter law school.
There was never a question about what area of law I would practice. I knew that family law was a perfect fit for me. My goal as a practitioner is twofold: To incorporate my experience and clinical skills as a social worker to help families deal with the subjective and human factors of divorce such as pain, fear, displacement and uncertainty and combine that with my experience and legal skill set as an attorney. I believe that this combination of skills allows me to attend to the emotional and legal issues faced by my clients to achieve desirable results.
Although litigation is a necessary step for many, I am committed to achieving my clients’ goals outside of the courtroom. It is very possible to reach a desirable resolution without prolonged litigation. Most importantly, it is my firm belief that this entire process can and should be done without putting children in the middle of the dispute. It is always my goal to facilitate the best possible resolution while minimizing the escalating tension and hostilities divorce can bring to the surface.
While no person can guarantee any specific resolution, I can guarantee my clients the following: I will always listen with compassion, as I recognize how divorce may interrupt and alter the lives of those involved; I will consistently and faithfully advocate my client’s position, and facilitate a resolution without causing undue emotional stress or trauma; and, I will provide professional, competent and comprehensive services to each client, from beginning to end. As a mother, daughter, sister, and aunt of two beautiful girls who have experienced divorce, “family” is the cornerstone of my personal and professional values. It will be with these same values that I promise to serve my clients!
- University of South Carolina School of Law
- University of Maryland at Baltimore, School of Social Work
- Binghamton University, State University of New York
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Assisted Reproductive Technology
- North Carolina
- Parenting Coordinator
Honors & Associations
- American Bar Association Family Law and Assisted Reproductive Technology Sections
- North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association Modern Family Committee of Family Law Section Council
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association Family Law Section
- Mecklenburg County Domestic Court Bar Committee
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
- North Carolina Lawyer’s Weekly: Women of Justice Award 2014
- Ms. Margherio often lectures at academic institutions on the topics of divorce, separation, child custody and child support and has presented “Considering Child Preferences in Custody Decisions: Research, Assessment and Issues” nationally.
- Ms. Margherio is an experienced mediator in family law cases and is a frequently appointed Guardian ad litem and Parenting Coordinator in high-conflict custody cases.
FAMILY LAW CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION PROGRAM:
Sodoma Law principal and attorney Nadia Margherio presents at various local Family Law Continuing Legal Education Programs, to include a recent program titled “Working with High Conflict Families: Legal, Ethical and Treatment Considerations”.