Patra A. Sinner – Board Certified Family Law Specialist
Patra Sinner has been practicing exclusively in the area of Family Law since 2003. She is licensed in both North Carolina and South Carolina, and became a Board Certified Specialist in Family Law in North Carolina in 2008. Most recently, Patra continued to pursue her passion for Family Law by becoming a certified Family & Divorce Mediator for both North Carolina and South Carolina.
Patra believes that each case is unique and deserves individualized attention and consideration. The variety of altering the approach to best address each nuanced situation is part of what inspired her to become a certified mediator. The mediation process allows clients to minimize the risk associated with their cases by instilling them with more control over the details of their resolution. Patra’s motto is that attorneys should be “problem-solvers” to help relieve the burden of clients experiencing the stress related to Family Law matters. Mediation is a problem-solving approach that provides a forum for the clients (and their attorneys) to reach efficient and thoughtful settlements of their claims.
She knows that every person deserves someone who is there to help, understand, listen, and give the insight needed into the legal process to make informed decisions. Her mission is to help those who seek her expertise in the moments when their issues can seem insurmountable and overwhelming by developing and implementing a plan that helps them, and their families, mitigate the anxiety and stress than can accompany change to the family unit.
Throughout her career, Patra has been recognized not only for her commitment to her clients, but also for her tenacity in the courtroom, vision, and community involvement. She was previously part of the Family Court Task Force in Mecklenburg County to assist with Local Rules revisions. Considered a thought leader in Family Law and all matters related to separation and divorce, Patra regularly publishes articles for Huffington Post and has been quoted in the Charlotte Observer and Parent Map. Topics she discusses include everything from collaborative divorce and child custody to mediation and co-parenting.
- Certified South Carolina Family Court Mediator
- Certified North Carolina Family Financial Mediator
- North Carolina Board Certified Family Law Specialist
- Admitted to North Carolina Bar (2003)
- Admitted to South Carolina Bar (2004)
- University of South Carolina, B.S. Business Administration (1995)
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. (2003)
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- NC Family Law Specialist Certification
Honors & Associations
- Mecklenburg County Family Law Task Force; former Member.
- Safe Alliance; Volunteer and Fundraiser.
- Justice Initiatives; Volunteer and Fundraiser.
- Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section; Member and former Co-Chair.
- North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Council; Member and former FLS Council Member.
- York County Bar Association Family Law Section; Member.
- South Carolina Bar Association Family Law Section; Member.
- South Carolina Mock Trial; Judge for Middle and High School Competitions.
- University of South Carolina School of Law; Alumni Event Planning 2018.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Premarital Agreements
- Post-nuptial Agreements
- Separation Agreements
- Equitable Distribution
- Equitable Apportionment
- Post-Separation Support
- Child Support
- Child Custody
Publications & Presentations
- “Ethics & Professionalism” – Speaker, In-house Presentation for Missouri Law Firm
- “International Custody Issues” – Missouri and Illinois Bar Family Law Sections
- “How to Use Experts in a Domestic Litigation Case” – Speaker, Mecklenburg County Bar